Are you getting married this summer? Did you go thru a divorce this past year? If you recently got married or divorce, the last thing on your mind is taxes.  However, there are some important steps you need to take to avoid stress at tax time.  Here are 5 easy to follow step from the IRS to keep in mind.

1. Notify the Social Security Administration to report any name change, so your name and number will match when your taxes are filed.  It's quite simple.  File form SS-5, Application for a social security card, at your local SSA office.  The form is available on SSA website at , by calling 800 772-1213 or any local offices.

2.  Notify the IRS.  If you have a new address, file form #8822, Change of Address.  Download the form at or call to order the form 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

3. Notify the Post Office so your mail can be forwarded.

4. Notify your  Employer.  Report any name and address change to your employer(s) to make sure you receive your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, after the end of the year.

5. Check your Withholdings. If you and your spouse work, your combined income may place you in a higher tax bracket.  You can use the IRS Withholding Calculator available to you on the IRS web site or contact our office,  Kathy @ 313 388-2911 for a personal meeting to assist you in determining the correct amount of withholdings for your new filing status. Send us an e-mail,

                       Our service is available year around to provide you with professional tax, accounting and payroll service.